February 3, 2011

Snow Day

Well, a snow morning at least. Making it a perfect morning for warm blueberry pancakes and coffee. The same one's I talked about in this post on weekend breakfast routines. mmmm. It's not often my hubby and are home together and awake early enough on a weekday to enjoy breakfast together. I also figure whipping up a batch of hearty, delicious, hot pancakes is the least I can do for my hubby who will have to go out in the cold to shovel 20+cms of snow from the driveway.  And so you don't feel left out, I think a snow morning is also a perfect morning for sharing the recipe love.

To whet your taste buds, you'll end up with this:


The recipe is actually from Janet and Greta Podleski's show Eat, Shrink and Be Merry on Food Network Canada. The pancakes received such glowing reviews on the TV show, I decided to give them a go one weekend. Janet and Greta's recipes and cookbooks hadn't failed us yet, and these were no exception. You start with these ingredients, most of which are pantry basics. I've substituted applesauce for the banana and I've also used some yogurt when I was low on milk, both with equally tasty results.


You mix your dry ingredients together (bran, flour, baking soda and powder), set aside.


Then combine your wet ingredients (banana, egg, melted butter, milk, vanilla, maple syrup) and whisk to combine:



Add wet to dry, mix just until they've become friends. Don't overwork it or your pancakes will be more tough than fluffy. Trust me :) 


Batter will be thick. That's the way it's supposed to be. Add your blueberries to the mixed batter. Fresh or frozen work equally well. And if you didn't have blueberries, I'm sure diced bananas, chocolate chips or nuts would be delish - though you won't get those antioxidants!


Put about a half cup of batter per pancake on a hot 325 degree griddle. Let cook for about 3 minutes.


Flip those babies over and cook for 3 more minutes on the other side. I know three minutes per side seems like a long time for pancakes, but the batter is thick and needs that time to cook through.



And trust me, these are worth the wait. Add your favourite toppings. The recipe suggests yogurt, but my choice is a little pat of butter, some maple syrup and a sprinkling of extra berries. (And no, we didn't have Starbucks on this snowy morning, this pic is from a previous shoot ;)


This pic, this is from this morning. Mmmmm. Mmmmm. Delish.


Full recipe for Batter Be Good to Me pancakes here. Enjoy!

No comments: