June 23, 2011

The Big 3-0!

No, it's not my birthday. And even it it were, it wouldn't be the Big 3-0. I surpassed that almost three years ago (without the 'OMG I'm turning 30 drama I might add). Today is the 30th birthday of one of my besties in the whole wide world, Brooke.

Brooke & Me on the Skerwink Trail during her visit last summer
Brooke and I met in university more than 10 years ago. We became fast friends and have stayed that way to this day despite the distance between us -she still lives in NS while I'm here on 'da Rock. We generally take turns making the (short) trek to visit one another about once a year. Tis my turn, so me and the fam are hopping on a jet plane later this summer to visit Auntie Brooke. And God help us when we get on the phone. We're those friends that can get on the phone and literally talk for over an hour about nothing at all several times a week. Though these days, with the addition of the boy, we're lucky if it's once a week for a few minutes. Thankfully, we're also those friends that can go fo-evah without talking and pick up right where we left off.

Brooke is one of the coolest cats in town. She's an awesome photographer (check out the photo-a-day blog she did last year for proof if you need it). She's technically savvy and can figure out pretty much anything on the computer - from designing a web page to using photoshop to fixing odd quirks. Fortunately, she's also pretty patient and willing to explain all the techno-mumbo-jumbo to me and my hubby when need be. She's creative and has an eye for design, and her fun little apartment speaks to that. She's also disciplined - to wit is her success at being smoke-free for more than a year after years and years of smoking and her recent foray into running.  Best of all, she's one of the bestest friends a girl can have.


@ Lighthouse Picnics in Ferryland, enjoying awesome food in not-so-awesome weather
She's celebrating her big day in NYC  (I did say she's one of the coolest cats around didn't I?). And as I couldn't get her b-day gift to her before she left thanks to Canada Post's ongoing strike/lock out, I wanted to be sure she knows the Ryans are thinking of her today and wishing her the best day ever.


Rock out Auntie Brooke - happy birthday!

No comments: