January 18, 2012

One Little Word 2012: DO

Having followed Ali Edward's experiences in choosing One Little Word for a few years, last year I decided to join in and choose my own word for 2011. I wanted this word help me focus my thoughts and energy throughout the year and, in a way, to replace the traditional New Year's resolutions. I chose the word open.

I was inspired to choose open as I thought about what I wanted out of 2011. At the time I was pregnant and about to have perhaps one of the most meaningful, life-changing experiences in becoming a mother. I knew I wanted to be completely open to all that it would be: the changes, the love, the challenges, the life. I knew though that just choosing the word wasn't going to be enough for me. The year was going to be busy (oh how little I knew then!) and I felt I needed something more to keep my one little word top of mind. For this, I took Ali's One Little Word class, which involved monthly prompts related to your word. The end result of that class was a sort of art journal. I shared some of my journal here. I loved the process and really found my word stuck with me. I ended up with a personal album of thoughts, photos, challenges, and accomplishments.

Better than that, through the class, I found my word really worked for me. There were wee hours when a crying, sleepless baby had me exhausted beyond words and I found myself rocking him with my word in mind. Reminding myself that this was part of being a parent, being his mom. There were times when I called my mom to come and relieve me for just a night and when I accepted the meals from friends, the many family hands that wanted to hold, and the advice of the more experienced oh so openly. And of course, there was opening my heart to more love than I ever thought it could hold.

My one little word experience in 2011 was all good and I've chosen another word for 2012: DO. Open was more passive and exactly what I needed last year. I'm entering 2012 with a desire to be more active in daily life and to accomplish a few specific things off my life list. I also know I "waste" time and a bunch of those things I never seem to get around to but want to - running, scrapbooking, DIY projects - go untouched. And I'm a procrastinator, particularly at times when I know I should be but would rather not be. In all these cases, the word DO, is fitting. In 2012, I want to do those things on my life list, I want to do those things that make me feel happy + productive, I want to not procrastinate {as much} and just do it, get it done.

So, there it is, my one little word for 2012: Do

My OLW as seen in Week 1 of my Project Life album
What about you? Did you choose a word for the year?

No comments: