April 6, 2012

Happy 1st Birthday Card

Today I have one last birthday card to share - the one we gave Hudson P at his first 1st birthday party on Sunday. (He enjoyed several more through the week, including one with his playgroup, one with mama&daddy and there's more plans for cake and prezzies on the weekend ... you only turn one once right?)

For Hudson's birthday, I decided to make a card that matched his race car party theme. Like Monday's monster card, I used another card from Pinterest as the base inspiration. Sometimes I create my own cards from scratch, like yesterday's butterfly birthdays, but I also love to scraplift others. It's a high form of flattery in the scrapbooking world, providing credit/linkage is given! I was also able to use a bunch of scraps from some of the party decor I made so the card was the same colour and patterns as the rest of this party - black, red, white and grey/silver.
I decided to amp up the layers on this card, compared to the inspiration. I used a couple of layers of distressed edge paper in the background and in the paper strip embellishment. The inspiration card only used one layer for each - I really wanted a little more dimension. I kept the circle and flag embellishments as well, but used a layered circle to showcase the big number one and changed the flags from banners to pennants to keep with the race car theme. I added a bigger happy birthday banner and a star to finish it up and called it done:



I wrote a note on the inside to HP and will put this in our Project Life album for safe-keeping. I'm sure he'll enjoy seeing it in years to come. Especially on his first year in post-secondary school, as our birthday gift to him, noted inside the card, was opening up his RESP with a chunk of change!

Happy Birthday Little Man - Hope you enjoyed your birthweek festivities.

No comments: