February 21, 2011

Scones - New Recipe # 2

As I mentioned in this post, my list of things 'to do' in this lifetime includes trying at least one new recipe every month for a year.  This month I decided to tackle scones - something I've always wanted to try making, but just never had. I also received the Pioneer Woman Cooks cookbook for Christmas and have been itching to make something from it for a single recipe. Fortunately, she had included a scone recipe in her breakfast chapter so I could combine both at once.

If you like to cook and you've never read the Pioneer Woman's blog - go now!
Well, go after you finish reading my post :)

And now for the scones. I started with these lovely ingredients, which already included variations on the Pioneer Woman's recipe. I can't help myself when it comes to altering a recipe.


I switched up the 3 cups of white flour with half whole wheat, partly to make it healthier and partly because I ran out of all white. I also didn't have heavy cream, but used a combo of blend cream and skim milk, again partly to make it healthier and partly to make sure I reserved enough cream for coffee. I do have my priorities. Finally, the recipe was for maple pecan scones and I decided to use blueberries instead of pecans - gotta get those antioxidants! I also didn't have pecans - I'm all about flexibility.
All the dry ingredients get combined.

Cold, cubed butter gets cut in to flour mixture. Note to self: need pastry cutter to make these often.

Cream, egg, milk get introduced to dry mix and everything gets worked together. Tis crumbly.


Gently folded in those blueberries.

Rolled dough into a large circle and scored into 8 wedges.
I may or may not have measured it with my mini-measuring tape to get the disc to 10".

Onto to baking sheet they go, for 25 mins at 350 degrees.

Out they come, just slightly more golden than when they went it. But, fortunately a whole lot less crumbly. I was getting worried that I was about to experience a scone FAIL.

And what's a scone without icing. Icing sugar, milk, maple syrup butter.

Drizzled on top. Mmmmmm.


They turned out wonderfully and went perfectly with the Starbucks that my husband brought home after digging our car out yet more snow. Given I have a free pass on shovelling this year, I figure scones were the least I could do.  And given he devoured more than one, I'd guess he agrees :)

 

Cheers to a new recipe, a tasty success.

RECIPE (my adaptation)


Scones1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1.5 cups whole wheat flour
1/3 cup sugar
5 teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
2 sticks unsalted butter, chilled
1 egg
1/2 cup cream
1/4 cup skim milk
3/4 cups blueberries, tossed with 1 tbsp flour to coat.

Icing
Half a bag of icing sugar, about 250 grams
2 tbsps unsalted butter, melted
2 -3 tbsps skim milk
1-2 tbsps maple syrup

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Combine flours, sugar, baking powder and salt. Cut butter into small pieces and cut into flour mixture (preferably using a pastry cutter, but forks work too) until mixture looks like fine crumbs. Combine egg, cream, milk together and then add to dry mix. Work together just until combined - don't overdo it as it will make the scone tougher in the end. Gently fold in blueberries. Turn dough out onto large cutting board and roll into a 10" circle. Score into 8 wedges. Transfer to cooking sheet sprayed or lined with parchment paper. Bake for about 25 minutes until edges just start to turn golden. Let cool before icing. (I didn't wait for the first couple to cool and it was all good!)

Combine icing ingredients together in small bowl and stir until combined. Add more milk or syrup to thin out as needed or to taste. Pour over cooled scones and let set.
Enjoy!

No comments: