October 11, 2011

Election Day NL


Today is Election Day in Newfoundland and Labrador. We have three primary parties - PC, Liberal, and NDP - vying for seats across this great province of ours. There's a two out of three chance that we'll officially elect a female Premier. If I were putting money on it I'd almost guarantee that will be the case by the end of today. Though who knows, Newfoundlanders and Labradorians may prove me wrong. They are the ones who get to choose. The key words there being "get to choose".

In Canada, in Newfoundland and Labrador, we have the right to vote. The right to choose. Today I will certainly exercise that right. I will walk to my polling station (I guess I'll be exercising my right in two ways!) and will mark an 'x' on my ballot. I will have my say in the future of this province. Will you?

Unfortunately, voter turnouts in elections passed show that many of you won't. There are a baker's dozen of excuses: I'm too busy, my work schedule conflicts, the line-ups are too long, I'm not interested in politics, I don't like any of the candidates in my riding, my vote won`t matter and the list goes on and on. Well, if you choose not to vote in the election, I don't want to hear your complaints about our government between now and the next election. You see, change and growth only come through active participation, through intention.

Please don't sit idly by. We live in a country and province where basic rights and freedoms are respected and upheld. In today`s world where people are dying around the globe fighting for those same basic principles, I urge you to appreciate and exercise your right to vote. It really doesn`t take that long, it`s not that difficult and it really does matter.

For more on where and how to vote today, visit Elections Newfoundland and Labrador.


No comments: