January 23, 2009

Enjoying Discomfort

I experienced a moment today where I actually enjoyed discomfort. While working on a pretty important project at work, I had this niggling feeling in my belly. I know you've all had it before . Its those unexpected butterflies that tell you you're anxious. That slight tightening of the chest and waver in your rhythmic breathing. Its usually sign to stop, change, run.

Instead, today I embraced the discomfort knowing it was a good sign. It was a sign that I was out of my comfort zone. It was a sign that I was moving out of the safe and secure and challenging myself. By blurring the edges a little and that is how we grow. Moving beyond the familiar, beyond the routine (which, again, I looooove) we stretch ourselves to new limits. We can prove we can do better, be more.

So, as I ventured outside the defined boundaries and felt that niggling unease, I was grateful for all it represented. We should all try something new everyday. Or at least every week. A little discomfort is good for the mind, body and soul. Try it sometime, you might enjoy it.

No comments: