December 14, 2011

Holiday Recipe {Pin}spiration

Pinterest is such an awesome space. Whatever your bag, it's on there. I have a bunch of different boards that I refer to regularly, including In the Oven + On the Stove where I pin my "must try" recipes. Over the last few weeks I have tested out a few of my pinned treasures with marvelous success. There are a few we've enjoyed so much that I thought I'd pass them along in case you're searching for that perfect new recipe to try this holiday season.

If you're looking for a delicious pancake for that holiday brunch, I highly recommend this Gingerbread Pancake recipe. It's on the healthier side with it's greek yogurt and whole wheat flour, so you can guiltlessly ladle on a little extra syrup should your heart desire. It's also heartier and denser than your traditional pancake house stack, which we loved as it holds you over all morning long and then some - a pro if you've got last minute shopping, wrapping, and visiting to do! Give it a try, your tastebuds will thank you.

Whole Grain Gingerbread Pancakes from PBS
Perhaps you have a holiday coffee break with friends planned? If so, these gingerbread muffins are the perfect companion. Muffin-like in texture, gingerbread-like in taste, these are just spicy and sweet enough to balance out a nice medium-bodied coffee or holiday tea blend. I whipped these up in no time with ingredients I already had in the house and I swear they came out looking exactly like this. Love that!

Gingerbread + Pear Muffins from BHG
For fear you think this is the gingerbread special, let's serve up a platter of these fancy-shmancy sweet potato appys shall we? I made these for a book dinner/social club potluck and they were a huge hit - with recipe requests. I made the topping with vinaigrette the night before, leaving out the nuts (so they didn't lose crunch) and the cheese. I baked up the sweet potato just before I left, took them with me keeping them warm, and topped them off before serving. Even just warm and room temp, they were delish. If you're serving them at home hot, even better.

Sweet Potatoes with Pecans + Goat Cheese from Smitten Kitchen
Finally, a quick, easy main meal that everyone will love and a staple dish in our house: mac & cheese. This time I was looking to make the family favourite a little more grown-up, so I used this base recipe with it's mix of mild and sharp cheeses, adding in a few pantry favourites - oil-packed sun dried tomatoes and marinated artichokes - for extra punch. It was delish. Try making your dish with a twist ... maybe tossing in some chopped ham, or a handful of diced tomatoes, or a blend of your favourite cheeses? Or keep it classic. Whatever you choose it's sure to be comfort food that's good for the tummy and the soul on a chilly December day.


Penne + Cheese from Family Circle
Now I'm just hoping to try this fireside bevvy out sometime over the holidays. Perhaps if you do, you can let me know how it is!

Amaretto Eggnog Latte from Cassie at Back to Her Roots

No comments: