July 28, 2011

Pinterest Scrapped!

Have you heard of Pinterest? It's kind of my newest addiction. I think it's probably a good thing that I have a child to feed, change, bathe and play with as I would otherwise spend way too much time on there!

For those who haven't ventured into the world of Pinterest, it's essentially an online bulletin board where you can 'pin', or save, photos you find online all in one place on 'boards'. So whether it's a recipe you'd like to try, clothes you're itching to buy, a home decor look you love, an inspirational poster, or whatever else tickles your fancy really, you can now save it all in one convenient online place for reference. You just install a little 'Pin It' button on your menu bar and whenever you find something you'd like to pin, you click it to pin it - easy peasy lemon squeezy!

Yeah, yeah you say, I can already do that with bookmarks and favourites and such, what's the big deal? Well there are a few cool features that I think make Pinterest far superior to bookmarks and favourites menus:

1. When you pin an picture - let's say of a delicious coconut cream pie - your pin automatically saves the original website with it so you can go back to the source - or the recipe - quickly and easily.

2. You can repin items that other pinners have pinned. Basically, you can look at what images have recently been pinned on the site and if you like it you can repin it onto one of your own boards. AND it still saves the original source website so you can still easily find that recipe, tutorial or give proper photo cred when needed.

3. You can follow other pinners who share similar tastes and interests as you, or who otherwise inspire you. The when you login, you can go right to the boards you follow and check out what they've pinned recently, which very likely will be things you like and quite possibly things you may not have otherwise come across during your travels around the huge worldwide web. Neat hey?

4. You can create as many boards as you like, allowing you to pin like items together, themed if you will. You can then easily refer back to your inspirations at a glance rather than having to sort back through bunches of bookmarked pages in your favourites menu. Way quicker, way easier.

If you can't tell, I really enjoy the site. I could spend hours (if I had hours to spend that is) just wading through the recent pins, there's so much cool stuff out there. Even though I don't have oodles of time, I do have a bunch of different boards around my many (p)interests - one for scrapbook layouts, one for fashion, one for cardmarking, one for home decor, another for recipes and so on. I have pinned a bunch of pics that inspire me and just last week used one of those pins to create a scrapbook layout.



Journaling reads: Hudson, so many people were eager to meet you. You were snuggled and cuddled and held close.
Still so new to the world, yet already so very loved. April 2010.
EDIT: Hudson was born in 2011 ... will change that on layout!
I saw this and thought it would be the perfect way to scrapbook a page about all the people who came to meet Hudson during his first week. I pretty much copied it exactly and loved the way it turned out - great way to fit a bunch of pictures on one 12x12 page in a layout that totally suits the story I wanted to tell.

Whatever you're into, I'm sure Pinterest would be valuable. It would be a great resource for planning a wedding or a kids birthday party. I can totally see myself pinning kids crafts and games and such as Hudson gets older. Perfect for storing those home design and decor pics if you're planning a reno. If you've not yet gone into the world of Pinterest, I encourage you to try it.

1 comment:

Lena B, Actually said...

It's my newest addiction as well! Love it!